Mateusz (Matt) Ferens
Credentials: Cross-cultural exchange in the Eastern Mediterranean; Art and visual culture of Byzantium
Position title: Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
232 Conrad A. Elvehjem Building
Madison WI 53715
Matt’s interests include Byzantine and post-Byzantine art, theories of optics and perception, and cross-cultural interaction. He is currently writing his dissertation on the formation of the post-Byzantine world in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Through his work, Matt engages in such topics as border theory, mythistory, collective memory and cultural trauma, the archeology of thought, and other topics related to cultural transition and survival. He thinks broadly about issues related to art, architecture, and material culture in order to understand how our past histories manifest themselves in our world today.
- PhD, candidate, Art History, University of Wisconsin Madison
- MA, Art History, University of California Riverside
- BA, Applied Design, San Diego State University
- Art History Grad Forum (president, 2020-21
- Byzantine Studies Association of North America (member)
- International Center of Medieval Art (member)
- St. Photios Orthodox Theological Seminary (lecturer)
- Graduate Early Modern Student Society (member)